Pages

November 23, 2014

Quotes of the Week: November 23

Here's something else fun I thought I would do now with Inoreader: when I am tagging things as "news" to include in my news round-ups, I'm also tagging things as "quote," which is a way for me to pick up great stuff from Twitter.

Now, a lot of things at Twitter are kind of weird: is someone quoting someone else? paraphrasing? offering their own comment in response to someone else? Often, I can't really tell who the words belong to, but they are still great words! So instead of trying to attribute these to people, I'll just link to the source where I found the words... if you want to try to figure out who said what, you can start sleuthing there.

Meanwhile, you can also just kick back and enjoy the words of wisdom... and since some of this comes directly or indirectly from Connected Course events, I'm tagging it #ccourses. :-)

~ ~ ~

Stop creating lesson plans and start observing and asking kids. (source)

Change from thinking about "best practice" to "informed practice." (source)

Always keep asking "who's not here, who's not participating, and why? (source)

How accurate do your captions have to be? Well, how accurate does your audio track need to be? (source)

The question 'is it open?' is the wrong question. The question is whether people are participating. (source)

Promote your University through the public work of its people — and guess what, Students are the mass majority of its people! (source)

If we're talking about student agency at our education conferences, why aren't there more students among us at these events? (source)

If you give your students agency & enable them to take risks I’m pretty sure you’ll be rewarded every time. (source)

We want to liberate faculty from the courseness of courses, the schooliness of school, the MOOCness of MOOCs. (source)

The pedagogical value in openness is that it can create dialogue. (source)

The right to reuse is the right to be current, the right to be better, the right to create new value. (source)

It's peculiar how educators could think their material is too poor quality to share...but good enough to teach with. (source)

And some literary quotes:

The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it. ― J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan.

The two most powerful warriors are patience and time. ― Leo Tolstoy

So many things are possible as long as you don't know they are impossible. ― Mildred D. Taylor

I can’t begin to tell you the things I discovered while I was looking for something else. — Shelby Foote

And a graphic from Project Threshold at my school:


And this from Lisa Lane: