Pages

July 27, 2014

Course Redesign Update: July 27 ... audio progress: 500 stories!

I worked on getting audio squared away today, and I am really happy with the results! 35 of the 100 units have LibriVox recordings available, and two more (La Fontaine and the Sioux unit) have partial audio for one of the two books used in the unit. Those 35 units are not exactly evenly distributed, but it is indeed possible for each week that students can choose an audiobook option!

Admittedly, I have no idea how many students will want to do this; I was inspired to make these audiobooks part of the class because I myself do most of my leisure listening to books in audiobook format, and have done so for many years. I will enjoy learning from the students how they use the audio, and I am going to write up some extra credit options to allow the students to experiment with different ways of audio-reading (look at the text or not, close their eyes or not, etc.). Since the audio for these stories come in small, story-sized chunks, students can experiment in that way and just see what they like. Perhaps they will want to listen to just one or two stories in a unit, for example. I'm going to learn a lot from their choices and comments!

To finish up, I just need to add the audio links for Decameron, Kalevala, and Faerie Queene... as of Sunday night, I have links in place for all the other audio units.

Meanwhile, I am so grateful to all the volunteers at LibriVox, and also to the great hosting set-up at Internet Archive which makes it really easy to link to the audio for each individual story. Here is a listing of the 35 units with audio, and that means there are over 500 stories that have audio available! So exciting!!!

I also really like the way the LibriVox logo with its tagline, "acoustical liberation of books in the public domain," promotes the idea of public domain content every time my students see the logo!